Meatloaf, Crockpot or Not!

9:42 AM 0 Comments A+ a-




Everyone makes meatloaf differently, and like most of you, I got the foundation of my recipe from my mom.  I added oats cause that’s how my mother in law makes it, so that’s what my hubby likes :)  I added carrots, cause I add veggies to everything! Then I just “cleaned” up some of the ingredients! Still tastes just like mom’s recipe, and that's really the point of what I try to do!  Take my old favorite comfort meals and give them a healthy spin so I can fully enjoy my food while nourishing my body!
smile emoticon
Meat loaf
21 Day Fix container fulfillment: 
1 RED (protein)
½ YELLOW (carbs)
and a smidge of a PURPLE (for the tomato sauce. Just eat 4 less grapes next time!)

Ingredients
• 1 lb 90% lean ground beef (This was perfect! Did not get dry, but wasn’t sitting in a puddle of grease!)
• ¾ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
• ¾ cup rolled oats
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup milk
• 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 6 oz (that’s ¾ cup) natural tomato sauce (I like Dei Fratelli)
• ¼ cup shredded carrot (just 1 normal sized carrot will do!)
• Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste

Glaze
• 3 tablespoons ketchup (NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, people! This is the easiest switch to make, ever! So if that’s the ONLY thing you take away from learning about CLEAN eating, it’s worth it!  Heinz makes a “Simply Heinz” ketchup without HFCS and it tastes EXACTLY the same! Your kids won’t even notice, I promise!)
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons vinegar

Some of the CLEAN ingredients! 
Whole wheat bread crumbs (this brand is everywhere!)
organic rolled oats from Meijer
Worcestershire sauce that is All Natural and reduced sodium
Simply Heinz ketchup (NO High Fructose Corn Syrup!)

Instructions
Basically, all you do is dump everything in a bowl and mash it together with your hands! 

Form it into a loaf and transfer into the crock pot. Top with glaze and cook on LOW for 5-6 hrs.

If you’re making a bigger loaf, extend your cook time! 
2 lbs 6-8 hrs on Low
1-1/2 lbs 6 hrs on Low




- OR - 
Form it into a loaf and transfer into a 9x13 Pyrex dish, sprayed with Pam with Olive Oil. Top with glaze and cook on 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

Here are some tips!
- If you're using a crockpot, insert a crock pot liner before you do anything! Save yourself the scrubbing!
- I use a food processor to shred my carrot! I don’t even care that I have to get it out of the pantry. All the parts go in the dishwasher, so whatever! Since I had it out, I went ahead and blended the Panko breadcrumbs up cause they are so chunky and I wanted a finer crumb.
- I make a slight depression in the top of the loaf to hold the glaze on top!
- Did you read what I wrote about the NO High Fructose Corn Syrup?!  I'm not kidding around, people!