Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

12:32 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



I'm always working to perfect a Mexican soup recipe! To me that means packed with flavor, lots of colorful veggies, not toooo many carbs, and simple to make! (sorry, no beans! I know, I know, but seriously they count as a carb on the macro level, and honestly, I just don't like 'em!) This recipe fits the bill!  Nothing needs pre-cooked, which I love!  I've also included my simple guacamole dip recipe at the bottom!


Chicken Tortilla Soup
adapted from Beanless Chicken Chili by Shai
adapted from The Pioneer Woman’s Simple, Hearty White Chili

Ingredients
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pablano pepper, diced
  • 6-8 boneless, skinless, chicken tenderloins
  • 1 32 oz can organic chicken broth
  • 1 10oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1 c uncooked brown rice
  • 1 bell pepper, green or orange (I used ½ and ½) 
  • 1/2 c coconut milk 
  • 1 T cornmeal 
  • Garnishes: cheddar cheese, cilantro, guac or Greek yogurt

Instructions

If frozen, defrost chicken tenderloins and remove fascia, (don’t skip this step, because it prevents a yucky film from forming on top of your soup!).
Toss onion, garlic, pablano, diced tomatoes and green chilies, and chicken tenderloins into the crock pot.  Season with salt, pepper, paprika and cumin. Place lid on crock pot and set to HIGH heat for 3 hrs.




Remove chicken and shred. 
Mix coconut milk and cornmeal in a small bowl.  Return chicken to crock pot, add bell peppers, rice, and milk/cornmeal mixture.  Replace lid on crock pot and set to HIGH for 2 hrs.

Garnish as preferred.
BONUS!  For the guacamole dip pictured, I simply mashed 1/2 an avocado, sprinkled in onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Then I added a dollop of plain Greek yogurt in about an equal quantity and stirred it all together!