Cauliflower Pizza Crust

3:36 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



I love me some pizza! Who doesn’t, right? I may be unique in that I’m not crazy about most of the meat options in traditional pizza. I’m not big on pork, so most pizza meat toppings aren’t ideal for my taste buds. But I love a veggie pizza, and seek out gourmet pizza shops that cater to that end. When I first started making pizzas at home I just used a whole wheat pita bread, and actually still do in a pinch! My husband and I like the flavor and it’s quick and easy. Then I started experimenting with cauliflower to try to cut carbs and add in veggies, (as if I needed more!). With this recipe I finally landed on a good combo that doesn’t turn to mush, tastes so much like the whole wheat pita that my husband was initially confused, met the requirement for low carb, and has a limited number of ingredients, making it relatively simple. There’s still some whole wheat flour in there, but it’s relatively small compared to the greater good here.

I love the sautéed shrimp, veggies, and spices in this recipe! The ingredients complement each other nicely, and it totally rivals those gourmet pizza shops I love so much!

Pizza Crust
  • Florets from 1 cauliflower – about 3 c 
  • ½ c whole wheat flour
  • ¼ c grated parmesan cheese
  • 1T oregano 
  • 1t garlic powder
  • 1t basil
  • Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten

Toppings
  • 9 Shrimp - sautéed in olive oil, garlic and basil
  • 1 c of chopped mixed bell peppers, broccoli florets and tomatoes
  • Clean pizza sauce (I like Dei Fratelli)
  • Basil, freshly chopped
  • Garlic slices
  • Ricotta cheese, dollops
  • Mozzarella, sprinkled
Preheat the oven to 400°F

Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in food processor and blend until it is a fine rice-like texture. Measure 3 cups of the cauliflower ‘rice’ and place in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, parmesan cheese, and seasonings and mix with your hands. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg. Use your hands to pull the dry ingredients towards the middle until everything is combined and you can shape it into a ball. It should be more loose and sticky than a traditional pizza dough. Form into a pizza base by flattening the dough with your hands. Make the edges slightly higher. Pre-bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile prepare the pizza toppings by sautéing the shrimp and chopping the veggies.
Remove the crust from the oven.
Cover it with tomato sauce, garlic slices, crushed red pepper and toppings.

Place back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.